Thursday, February 18, 2016

Engage Students with Flocabulary!


So, has anyone else seen the show Rap Game?  It features 5 kids under the age of 16 that want to be rappers & are already on their way to being super stars!

Why am I talking about this?

Because our students (especially if you work in an inner-city school district like I do) listen to rap, memorize the lyrics, and sing those songs all day.... 
...so what? who cares? you ask?  

Well, these songs engage our students, get their attention (and keep it), and they sure can remember those lyrics, right?  What if they could be that engaged in learning and remember important information you are teaching just like they do with those rap songs?

THEY CAN!  If you follow me at all, you know I use Whole Brain Teaching and I love the Ron Clark Academy.... both of these teaching strategies use catchy phrases & songs to engage our students.  With WBT alone, I have 100% student engagement all the time!  However, I am not always so creative to make up cheers like this....

So, when I need to teach my students a concept, and need some inspiration, I use Flocabulary!

Flocabulary essentially provides education rap songs for all subjects grade K-12!  If you have never seen or heard of this, here are some previews...

Addition & Subtraction (Primary)



Shakespeare's Macbeth Rap (Secondary)


4th Grade Vocabulary


And they also have the Week in Rap (with a junior version) newscast every week so your students can stay current with world events!

Okay, you get the idea?  These are awesome!

I use Symbaloo so that my students have easy access to all our class websites & I recently added an icon for Flocabulary.  When my students are done with their work, I will allow freetime (sometimes).  Flocabulary has become the only icon they ever want to go on when there is freetime now!

I will tell you... it is TEACHER HEAVEN when you hear your students rapping about concepts you are teaching in their FREE TIME (for fun)!

And that is not all...

Flocabulary provides lesson plans, CCSS aligned videos, quizzes, weekly news updates, write your own academic rap features, and right now they are offering FREE TRIALS!  My district has purchased a subscription for all of our teachers & my only wish is that more teachers would use it!


Click the image to get your extended FREE trial and bring Flocab to your school!  I LOVE it and am doing this blog because I see how much my kids love it... it's all about the students at the end of the day and whatever we can do to reach them, get & keep their attention, and help them learn, is what we should do.

Flocab has worked for my students & that is why I wanted to share it with you all!  

To find out more about what Flocabulary offers, CLICK HERE!  If you use Flocab, I would love to hear from you!  Leave me a comment and let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment