Saturday, September 05, 2015

Star Student Board for Classroom Management!



Hey guys!  So, I am finally getting around to getting my Star Student blog & product together!  The first week of school was pretty brutal!  It was HOT with no A/C, my feet are not used to this big ol' belly, and I am now up to 28 students in my 1st Grade class!

Since the hubby is watching the Huskers and college football all day today, I figured it would be a great time to work, right!?

I was inspired to write this post because recently I found out that a principal in a school in my district is having her whole staff use the Star Student board this year!  A friend of mine went for an interview there and the principal had mentioned it during the interview!  I was shocked & honored at the same time!  I guess someone at the school must have been following my blog and made a copy of something. She saw this, looked into it, loved the idea (better than the clip charts they had previously used), and decided to go with it!  She has also asked me to come to her school and speak to her staff on how I use this!  Exciting, right?

So, I put together this Star Student No-Prep Kit to help other teachers implement a positive classroom management system!

So... this all started when I was a substitute teacher.  I needed a way to quickly earn the respect of students without yelling or giving negative attention to students who wanted it!  I actually thought of this idea on the spot, tried it out, and IT WORKED!

When I finally got my own classroom, I wasn't sure this could hold up all year but I had not found Whole Brain Teaching yet so I figured I'd give it a shot!  And once again, IT WORKED!  ALL YEAR!  

The basic idea of the Star Student board is to start the day recognizing students who are doing a good job.  Giving the attention that our beloved rascals want so much to the other students who are on task & making smart choices!  I start out every day this way!  It really helps on those tired days when you start losing patience right away in the morning and are tempted to yell at all the kiddos acting like beloved rascals!  The star student board not only keeps my students in check, but it keeps me in check too!



So this is my basic (not so cute) Star Student Board!  I just use a dry erase marker on my make-shift whiteboard each day!  It gets messy and is not super cute but it works!  If you want cute & clean, I have created Star Student Posters & Name Plates for you to use!  As you can see, next to the board, I post our class bank.  This is where I keep track of stars earned.  After the students earn $20, they can go SHOPPING!  Everything in this catalog is FREE to you and FUN for students!

There are daily incentives for students to get stars & the class bank is an incentive for them to keep their stars all day long!


Our school does use PBIS and we have "Gus Bucks".  If any of my students earn Gus Bucks from other teachers, I collect them and mark them as tallies in their bank account.  I have included shopping catalog covers that say Star Student and PBIS so you can choose what works for you and your school!

This is the daily reward chart that I use!  This is included in the kit along with an editable version!


Now, if you have ever read my blog before you are probably thinking, "How does this work with Whole Brain Teaching?"  I have a whole page written about how I use this with the Scoreboard & the Super Improver Team in the Kit and you can also read about it here.  When I first found WBT, I figured I would eventually wean myself off of the star student board, however, I have not yet been able to let it go!

Here is a lil preview of what I have included in the Star Student Kit...





I hope you find this post useful if you are looking for a new classroom management system!  If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I will be happy to help!

Also, don't forget about the First Grade Labor Day Sale this weekend!  Visit Teachers Pay Teachers and search #firstlove for some GREAT deals for primary grades!










No comments:

Post a Comment