Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Kids are people too!


Happy Wednesday y'all!  So, if you have been following my periscopes at all, you may already know that this school year is off to a rather slow start for me!  It is taking a lot of time to get used to basic procedures and expectations but we're getting there!  

Today we had to back track a little bit and review our rules A LOT!  My friends definitely lost Scoreboard today too.  It was a day to bring on what I call the "adult talk"!

I teach 1st Grade but somehow every year I end up having this discussion with my students.  I really need to sit down and make this into an actual unit that I teach.... which is why I am blogging about it!  I would love to hear how you connect your PRIMARY classroom to the real world!  There are so many amazing ideas out there ~ BUT... I feel like a lot of them are more suited for older children.

My students need something now...that is at their level!

"Adult Talk" always varies but goes a little something like this 
(and it's never planned!):

Me: What do you think would happen if I came to work and acted this way (refer to specific or general behaviors of the day)?

Students: You would get fired.

Me: And what happens if I get fired?

Students: You won't have any money.

Me: What happens to me if I do not have any money? (And I am very careful about this part because I do teach in an urban school district.)

Then I give time for various answers that usually sound something like....
~ you can't buy clothes
~ you won't have a house
~ you can't get nice shoes
~ you can't go to McDonalds

You get the idea!

Then I talk to the students about how we're not just in 1st Grade but we are getting ready for the world!  And I tell them how much I care about them and I want them to be successful!  ~ But, you cannot be successful if you are a hot mess! ("Hot mess" is kind of my thing LOL)

I also frequently sit on tables and desks as I am tall (and now pregnant) and I will often have students try to do the same.  I tell them that I can do that because I went to college and when they go to college, they can come back and sit, stand, jump, whatever, on all the counters and desks they want!

So anyway, I am sure some people feel this is a loaded discussion for 6 and 7 year olds but I also think it is important for them have a VALID reason WHY they should act a certain way in school.  It is not just because they are in school, it is because they are part of our society and we all have to be responsible for how we act...including me!

Anyway, I would like to elaborate on this discussion and bring out activities around it as needed throughout the year.  I do have to be sensitive to the fact that many of my students do know people in jail, struggle with money, and come from broken homes.  But I also want them to know they can be whatever they want to be if they always work hard and DO THEIR BEST!

If you do anything like this in your classroom, or know of some awesome resources for connecting behavior from the classroom to the real world, I would love to hear from you!





3 comments:

  1. I needed to read this so much today! My first graders have been off the wall lately! This is only my second year in first grade, I moved down from 3rd, and I forgot how immature and needy they are at the beginning of the year! I think this is a great analogy to use! I also have students who know people in jail, have parents that do not work, etc. Like you, I want them to know they can do whatever they want!

    Thanks!!!

    Whitney
    Fabulous Fun in Grade 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment so I know I am not alone! I feel like right now, I need to have this conversation with some student EVERY day LOL... It's definitely a process moving them from Kindergarten mode to 1st Grade mode! Especially with a larger class size! Hang in there!

      Delete
  2. Heidi,
    This is almost word for word what I say to my 5th graders! Great post! I'm also loving what you are doing with WBT. I am working on my certification as well. Kudos to you for your hard work! I hope your school year is going well.

    ReplyDelete