Monday, May 11, 2015

BRAIN obsessed! Whole Brain Teaching & Brain Games...

Happy Monday!

It's been a little while in between blogs trying to keep up with everything so I thought I would do a quick update on what we are up to!

First of all, I am so excited to announce that I booked a Whole Brain Teaching Classroom Management Conference (finally) for our district!  The amazing Sarah Meador from Meador in the Middle will be teaching all the WBT basics for 6 fabulous hours!  I am hoping to get her back at our school this fall as well!  I have been working to get people on board with WBT since I started a year and half ago!  It is finally starting to catch on! :)

I am working on my certification through an internship with Farrah Shipley (and Nancy Stoltenberg has been a gem giving me feedback as well!) but sometimes I feel like I will never get there!  There is always so much to learn!  I have been working on getting some videos ready for submission and crossing my fingers that eventually one will be semi close to exemplary!  **Fingers crossed!**

Here is the link to sign up for the conference in our district if you are close to the Wisconsin area!  

WBT Classroom Management Conference



Brain Games
So, I have to confess.... I am completely OBSESSED with Brain Games in my classroom!  I truly believe they are making a difference in my students!  I started out with one Brain Box....


I now have 3 Brain Boxes, 4 Spot-It GamesQ-Bitz, and a spatial Brain Builder Game!  I started these as a morning wake-up activity but now we play them every free second I get!  Last Friday, my students got some lap-top time and when I asked who wanted to play a brain game, every single hand shot up!  It was amazing to see every single student want to get off of a computer and play a brain game!  **Teacher Heaven**

Here is a look at some of these games... 

I just got this one so we haven't played it yet!

This one was a gamble since it says ages 8+ and I teach First Grade but they LOVE it and they can do it!



Here they are having an intense Q-bitz tournament!


And this last one (Spot-It) was such a hit, I had to get several of them!  They have a lot of different versions... I think my students love this one because they get to shout out :)  Either way, it works for ALL ability levels and is a really great brain workout!


Since my kiddos worked so hard this year, I am considering turning our centers into all brain games for the last several weeks of school!  

Have you tried brain games in the classroom yet?















3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Shout Out Heidi! You're blog is super cute.
    You should come join myWBT Linky Party and post your favorite article!

    See you in a few weeks!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Just saw that you DID join the Linky!! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I did it wrong tho and linked just to my blog instead of a specific article! Thank you for doing a linky! It's hard to find WBT bloggers! I found as many as I could to follow for more great WBT ideas! :)

      Delete