Wednesday, September 17, 2014

WBT Wednesday with Ms. T's Class



Hey guys!  I hope you are all having a FABULOUS week!

Wednesdays are super busy for me but I wanted to share a little of what I am doing with Whole Brain Teaching so far!  (I know it's only week 3 but these kids are getting ready for COLLEGE!)

Also, if any of you are doing WBT this year and are interested in a Weekly WBT Wednesdays Linky Party, please comment and let me know!  Also, visit the AMAZING Mrs. Shipley for awesome WBT Tips every Wednesday!

So this week, we are really getting into WBT!  One thing we have been doing a TON of is Oral Writing!  My students are using brainies for capital letters, periods, question marks, exclamation points, commas, and the words "and" & "because"!

I have a BiffyToons Binder that I let students use whenever they want.  I decided I should have a Brainies Binder as well!  Once we get more used to Brainies, I will pass around the desk set brainies that I laminated for each student!

Get your FREE WBT chevron & jungle themed desk set brainies HERE!




Visit the Whole Brain Teaching website to get your own FREE copies of Brainies and BiffyToons (sight word with gestures)!

My students have been doing awesome with the 5 WBT Rules so I used the rules to practice Teach/Okay!  We practiced FULL TURNS to your neighbor and teaching with gestures.  They were doing awesome and when I called Class Class, they replied Yes Yes and turned back around to be sitting perfectly at their desks!

The other calls and responses we have done so far are:
Peanut Butter Class - Jelly Time Yes!
Hold up Class - Wait a minute Yes!
Attention Class (army style) - Attention Yes!


Rule #3 - Raise your hand for permission to speak!

Rule #4 - Make smart choices!

Rule #5 - Keep your dear teacher happy!

We practiced Switch! today -- which BTW I NEVER got to last year!  I am so excited that I could do it in week 3 this year!  One student was the peanut butter and the other was the jelly.  The peanut butters had to ask the jellies questions like "What is your favorite color?", "What do you like to do at recess?", etc.  The jellies had to answer using COLLEGE TALK (full sentences).  If the jelly did not use college talk, the peanut butters had to use the brainy for complete sentence please & say "college talk please".  

My kiddos did SO amazing with this!

(Initially they were getting "college talk" and "oral writing" confused.  So I wanted to do this mini lesson so they understood what was expected of them when we asked for college talk.)

I made my own Power Pix to match my jungle theme this year and to correlate with Common Core 1st Grade Standards.  I will be putting these in my TpT Store as soon as I complete them!  We are starting with end marks and capital letters since we have been working hard on this with oral writing!



We focused this week on capital letters.  What is a capital letter? A capital letter is the uppercase letter of the alphabet.  We played Cutie using thumbs up or down to identify capital letters.  Then we practiced our capital letters using white boards.  First, I called out a letter and had students write the capital letter.  Then I had them write as many capital letters as they could.  I have some future authors in my class this year! :)



Another WBT 5 step lesson we did was with tally marks!  I use tally marks to keep track of student's "Gus Bucks" (our PBIS system).  Most of them had enough to go shopping in the PBIS Catalog, but they could not count tallies so they didn't know it!  I used the Math Power Pix for this lesson and after 20 minutes, I swear my students were tally experts!

Since it was a nice day (and we live in Wisconsin so those are numbered), we did the application part of the lesson outside!

I am still getting familiar with the WBT 5 Step Lesson Plan, but I have to tell you, it is AMAZING and IT WORKS!  I am hoping that soon, the WBT 5 Step Plan will be second nature to me because I seriously believe that teaching the students this way can really take them to new levels!  If you don't believe me, check out some of Mrs. Shipley's videos of her Firsties doing multiplication and division..... and not only doing it, but EXPLAINING IT!



I am so excited about WBT this year and the opportunity to become an Intern!

Look for more of WBT Wednesdays & follow my journey!

If you are doing WBT, please comment with more ideas, thoughts, suggestions, and/or link to your WBT blog/ideas!

Happy (Whole Brain) Teaching!
~ Heidi





No comments:

Post a Comment