Saturday, September 20, 2014

Just a Little Something from Samantha


Good Morning, y'all! Yes, I am still alive. If you have read my blog before, you know that I switched schools AND grade levels this year. I. am. exhausted. It is all part of teaching though, eh? Anyway, I have had some wonderful days with my second graders and I would like to share an idea with you! 

First, I stumbled upon an awesome back to school sale Office Depot had going for a month or so. They were offering two 18 by 24 posters, 50 color copies, 50 business cards, 3 feet of lamination and a teacher planner for $29.99. I NEEDED quality color copies and the price for that alone was pretty good, so I had to come up with a fun set of posters for my classroom. One turned out nice and the other I LOVE! Among the items on my mile long to-do list, was "create an exit-slip board." I decided, instead of cutting a bunch of papers and gluing them down, I would design my own. I had so much fun getting back into using my Photoshop Software... So after designing a bunch of stuff, I was able to make it to Office Depot and load up my work, just before they closed... this meant I had to sit all night and into the next afternoon until they called to tell me my stuff was ready. When I picked up my laminated poster, I was beyond happy with the results... What do you think?


Look at those colors! I love them! The first time I used this was during a getting to know you activity. I had my students participate in one of the traditional, "find someone who....., and have them sign the box" surveys. First, my students went through the list and put an X by the boxes that applied to them. Then, they walked around asking others if they fit the categories. I had modeled how to ask the other person a question and how to get more information from them. I told them that, "yes" wasn't a sufficient answer, they needed to know what languages the other person spoke, or what kinds of pets they had. After we did this for about 20-25 minutes, we came back to our seats and the next task was to look at their surveys and find someone that was similar to them. Then my students wrote their number (my students are assigned numbers for everything we do!) and the "similar person's" name and how they are similar on a Post-It note and stick it on their own number. My goal was to help build relationships within the classroom, while teaching them how to use exit slips. Here is a picture of the poster in use.


Look at all of those similarities in my classroom! And, YES, I have 28 second graders in my room! Number 30 was my example for them. I love this activity and plan on using this poster for exit slips in every subject area. Exit slips can be used in so many ways. I just love how you can get a quick assessment just by putting a response on a Post-It and sticking it to their number! So, what do y'all think? Do you use exit slips? How do you use them? 

Also, if you are interested in this poster (with bigger lettering on top), I put it on Teachers Pay Teachers (here). This is my first paid product and it is currently on sale for just ONE DOLLAR! Go check it out! While in TPT, follow my store, I plan on putting more products up in the near future! 

I hope someone can get use out of this poster! 

No comments:

Post a Comment