Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Potato Chip Graphing

Hello friends!

So, I am enjoying my summer vacation (as I hope you all are too!) since this is my first week off (summer school just ended).  So I am taking FULL advantage and laying in bed this morning watching a little LMN.  While I was watching TV, I saw a commercial for the new LAYS Potato Chip flavors!

This reminded me about the last time Lays did this "new flavor vote"...it gave my classroom an awesome lesson and I can't wait to do it again!



First, we taste tested all 3 flavors.... Cheesy Garlic Bread, Chicken & Waffles, & Sriracha.


After the students tasted all 3 flavors, they had to think about their favorite!  Some of my firsties were definitely nervous to try some of the flavors but they were troopers and everyone tried all 3 flavors!

Then we graphed our opinions...





As you can see, Sriracha won in my class!  I have to say I LOVED me some sriracha chips and I was very sad when it didn't win!  By the way, if you don't keep up with the chip world, Cheesy Garlic Bread was the winner.

So after students were done graphing, they got to draw their own chip bags!  I have to say my students LOVED this activity!  They did not even realize that they were learning about opinions and graphing!


After our class votes were in, I logged onto the Lays Website and we voted as a class.  The students were so excited about this!

This was back from my 1st year of teaching so I apologize for the lack of photos!  But you get the idea!  For the chip bag drawing, I just drew the outline and made copies.  I will be making a new graph for the new LAYS flavor competition and you can find it HERE!

There are 4 new flavors up for voting right now.  They are Bacon Mac & Cheese, Cappuccino, Mango Salsa, and Wasabi Ginger.

What better way to teach opinions and graphing!

Happy Teaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment