Monday, July 28, 2014

My First Monday Made It!


Happy Monday... Night!

So, this is our first linky party! Last year was my (Samantha’s) first year teaching and absolutely loved following Tara at Fourth Grade Frolic’s blog. So I found it super appropriate for me to link up with her Monday Made It Linky Party today.

First, I want to fill you in a little about what is going on in my life... As I mentioned in our first post, I will be starting at a new school in the same district this fall. I am moving from 4th grade to 2nd grade! I am a little nervous, yet beyond excited to work with my new-ish colleagues. I say new-ish because I student taught at this school in Fall of 2011 and already know most of the staff! Our students don’t return until September 2nd but I feel like there just isn’t enough time to get everything ready! I have met with some of the staff yet but I am patiently ANXIOUSLY waiting to get into my new classroom. My new school was getting some work done this summer and we are not allowed in til… Well, I don’t know when! I would totally start bugging my new administrator, but she was pretty busy being a stunning bride this past weekend. So, in the mean time, I’m trying to start on a few projects that will work in any classroom. This leads me to my first Monday Made It!
Now, on to the show... Last year was my first year teaching in my own room and acquired a lot of stuff in just one year. While packing up, I came across some plastic magazine racks from Really Good Stuff (see below). I don't have a before picture of them assembled because I had them all broken down and ready to toss in the trash, when I decided, hey, I can repurpose those! And here it goes...
Start product Store More 3 Part Book/Magazine Rack from Really Good Stuff... Only mine weren't in brand new condition and they had labels that were half peeled off and a sticky mess!


So, I remembered seeing something on Pinterest about using olive oil to remove sticky residue.


And it worked! But now I had oil all over and the bins were still dusty... So, I washed them and then threw them in the dishwasher to really make sure all of the nooks and crannies were clean! 



After that, it was time to add some paint! This is where it gets fun... yes, I am addicted to SPRAY PAINT! Especially when it comes to painting things BLACK! 


I've never spray painted so many items at once so I needed a little more protection than normal. My boyfriend suggested I use a cheap plastic drop cloth to protect the driveway... This sounded like a great idea but as you can see, it wasn't and I had to buy some sand paper to smooth the 'oopsies'. 

 I learned my lesson and bought a better quality drop cloth that can be used over and over!


After all pieces were inspected for proper coverage, my project was complete! Look at these! 

Now, for the hard part... Deciding which labels to use on these bad boys! I'm in limbo between the days of the week labels found for free on Ladybugs Teacher Files' site, the free files from Kinder Craze (OH MY! OR the BRAND NEW labels from her page...), or creating my own custom labels. Decisions, decisions... Let me know your thoughts below! I'm sure you'll see how this plays out in my 2014-15 classroom reveal! 



Okay, now that I have written an entire book, I want to share my week at a glance planner with you. I first found this planner template on Luckyfrog's Lilypad page a quite a while ago. Looking back at her post (here), I must have stumbled upon it right after she posted it because the dates are right around the same time I started teaching in a long term substitute position and I desperately needed a cheap planner to get me through the end of the year. Since I first downloaded this planner, it has changed and evolved SEVERAL times. I am sure this will change before the school year begins, as I don't know all of the details for my new school yet! But this is a pretty close estimate of how my weeks will go next year!




Now, it is time to tackle the pile of goodies I picked up yesterday. How many different items do you think I can paint with these?!



Thanks for stopping by, see ya'll next Monday! Oh and please go follow us on Bloglovin'! Click the link on the top right! Thank you!

Samantha

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the shoutout, Samantha! Your new blog is SO cute-- I hope lots of new followers find it soon! :)

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny! I like it for now... eventually, we plan on updating it but we wanted to make sure we will really keep up with blogging before investing a bunch of money into a blog page!

      Delete
  2. Great transformation! Your blog already looks great. I'm a new follower!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following us! :) Your blog is fabulous as well! I can't wait until we have more posts on here!

      Delete
  3. I love spray painting things, too! I am just now getting the nerve up to spray paint plastic things....I've really only done wood and metal so far. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember to use light layers and follow the directions about how long it takes to cure on plastics. I've learned the hard way!

      Delete